Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Here's some really good questions from my friend E. in New Orleans:



1. Does your view of life change from day to day, morning versus night, situation to situation?



That's a very good question, one which provokes much thought. I would definitely say yes, it does. As I get older, I've noticed I tend to look at things more subjectively now. I've learned that many things are not as they seem. Each time I encounter a new situation, I learn something new and I change slightly. The way I respond to new situations sometimes surprises me. I'm reminded of a famous quote:


"Whilst part of what we perceive comes through our senses from the object before us, another part (and it may be the larger part) always comes out of our own mind." --William James, The Principles of Modern Psychology



Other things that affect my perception of things are my mood, the weather (which has a lot to do with my mood), and the atomasphere surrounding me in any given place. This is why it is important for me now to be subjective. Some situations could be interpreted much differently were it the same situation in a different atomasphere.





2. What's an IKEA store? I am thinking it could be like a SUPER Walmart store. Do you have these stores?



IKEA is a big Scandinavian modern style furniture and accessories store. I love going to Ikea and browsing around. They also have a big Scandinavian food kitchen as well, where you can enjoy Swedish meatballs and all kinds of great food. Every time I go there I pick up one or two jars of my favorite thing; Lingonberry Jam. I don't know what it is, but I sure love it! Sadly, I sprained my thumb opening the last jar of lingonberry jam. It was really hard to open, but I was persistent, resulting in some suffering. I got the jar open though, and indulged in my reward.



Yes, we have Walmart superstores here too. I try to avoid them because they are just a giant money pig corporation that underpays it's employees. But that's just my opinion, perhaps there are better Walmarts out there who treat their employees with dignity and respect and are keen on customer service. Who knows, it could happen.



3. Do you enjoy photography as much now that it has become a profession versus a leisure time activity?

Yes. I think I enjoy it even more now. I get some of the most wonderful and talented clients. It's very exciting for me because there is such a broad range of things I'm shooting. Everything from Jazz and Blues bands, to headshots, and stock photos for advertisments. It just keeps on getting better.



I've been trying different equipment now as well and I'm enjoying the new results.



No comments: